Garage Fire Quickly Extinguished

Garage Fire Quickly Extinguished

Garage Fire Quickly Extinguished
Posted on 11/29/2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

On Friday, November 24, 2018, the Northville Township Fire Department was dispatched to a reported garage fire. The home was located in an area of the Township without fire hydrants and tanker trucks were requested from neighboring departments. Due to the homeowner’s early recognition of the fire and his immediate call to 911, the fire was extinguished with limited damage. The fire began around the wood-burning stove that was used to heat the garage. Garage fires can move very quickly due to the open construction and the type and amount of contents. The quick response of the fire department helped to save a classic car and the majority of the contents stored inside the garage.

This incident is a great reminder to have your chimney cleaned and inspected before it is used and also periodically throughout the year. Creosote buildup is the leading cause of chimney fires. Also, remember to check your smoke alarms. Make sure a smoke alarm is installed in every sleeping room, in the hallway outside the sleeping room and on every floor. Lastly, please make sure to have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed on every level of your home, especially outside of any sleeping rooms. With the winter weather upon us, there is an increase in the use of your furnace, water heater, and fireplace all leading causes of CO incidents.

The Northville Township Fire Department would like to thank the Northville City Fire Department and the Salem Township Fire Department for their assistance.

Todd L. Mutchler, Director
Department of Public Safety
248-349-9400

Northville Township, Michigan, November 29, 2018

Printer Friendly Release